When you do successfully reach your goal, in what way will your life be different?
This question was in a fitness questionnaire I did and it gave me quite a bit of anxiety. In what ways will my life be different? I don’t know. I imagine that I will be happier and healthier. I will have more energy and self-confidence. Maybe I will get hit on more often. Perhaps when I look in the mirror I won’t recognize myself. Maybe by changing I am admitting to myself that I wasn’t good enough before. What will my family and friends think? Do they even care? Am I ready to hear… “Oh, you have lost so much weight. You look great!”
I know that I am not as happy as I could be currently, but I do know who I am. Who is this happier, healthier me? What will she look like? How am I going to feel when people like her better than me?
I never imagined that there would be so much fear and uncertainty attached to the idea of bettering myself. It is hard to imagine myself any different than I am now. When I try to imagine a better me, it is like waking up with someone else’s face on.
It wasn’t until I read this question that I realized that I was holding myself back. My fear is my own enemy. How to overcome this fear, that is the question. Why can’t I just accept a better me as a possibility?
I myself got a little stumped on this blog post, so I decided to take a break and go on a walk to mull things over. So, after some alone time I was able to put together a little list of thoughts to help us cope. So, when you’re thinking that you’re not ready for change or get offended by a compliment you can read this list.
Little List of Thoughts to Help us Cope
- Change is rather slow. Change doesn’t happen overnight, so it’s not like you are going to wake up and not know who you are.
- Compliments are NOT AN ACT OF WAR. Wouldn’t it be more offensive if no one noticed?
- You are still YOU. You are now just taking better care of yourself.
- Oh, and it is not like it has to be permanent!! You can always go back to being the way you are now (SOMEHOW THE MOST HELPFUL)
- Guess What!? Who decided to go on a transformation mission?… you did.
- Who has the strength and will power to reach the future goal? … you do.
- Came from you! It is not like some one else came along and possessed you.